Friday, June 27, 2014

Veiling at Mass and Adoration

Until recently, I only veiled at Latin Mass and Adoration. I bought my first veil over 4 1/2 years ago. The first time I put a veil on, I felt immediate peace.

God had been calling me to veil at Novus Ordo Mass for quite a while. With the help of a  friend who encouraged me to branch out from Latin Mass and Adoration, I began veiling at every Mass several weeks ago. Instant peace! It is such a beautiful tradition.

Once I realized what scripture said and what this tradition has meant in the Church for over 2000 years, how could I not veil in the presence of God in the Holy Eucharist? Veiling is a sign of humility before God. It is a public proclamation that Jesus is truly present in the Holy Eucharist! I only wish I'd of known of this tradition earlier.

At first, I was afraid to veil at Novus Ordo Mass because of what people might think. Let's face it, veiling isn't the norm. It was easy to veil at Adoration because there were so few people around. It was easy to veil at Latin Mass because everyone was doing it. We veil for God, not other people!

Of course, it still took a lot of prayer before I took the next step to veil at Novus Ordo Mass. I even asked a priest what he thought of veiling before I finally took the next step! I also reminded myself again that veil is a sign of humility before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, scripture calls us to cover our heads and it is also a public proclamation that you desire to submit to the will of God. But most of all, I reminded myself that it is public proclamation that Jesus is truly present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. After knowing what it means, how could I not veil!?

This Catholic News Service video on veiling is beautiful. I thought I'd share it and then share a few pictures of my favorite veils. I own 3 and have a very long wish list. I'm praying that more women come to (re)discover the tradition of veiling!





My friend and I on Ascension Thursday-Latin Mass
Same veil as above, love how is changes colors!

Love this light weight Chantilly lace veil-lilac and beige colored flowers on it.


Veils on my wish list: 












 
 

No comments: