Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Crazies?

Every year, I have to remind my hubby that the children will not die and Christmas will not be ruined if the they only get one gift.  Jesus was God and He only received 3 gifts.   That aside, if they got nothing, they would be okay.  Are you caught up in the Christmas Crazies? 

Christmas can be difficult for many folks. Often times we put ourselves through unnecessary stress over gift giving.  I am guilty of it, as well.  It is difficult not to get caught up in the Christmas hullabaloo.  So-in-so is getting you a gift, so you feel compelled to return the favor.  We've had to learn to be frugal and give handmade gifts.  This year, I have made altered notebooks and hand-stamped cards for people on our gift list.  I also give small scrapbooks and baked goods.  Of course, at some point, your list could just continue into infinity--- We have so many people that we'd like to give a gift, but we simply cannot afford it.

A friend told me about writing IOUs for gifts.  What a neat idea!  Kids can write things such as, "IOU an hour of quiet"  "I will empty the dishwasher without complaining", so forth and so on.

As we are in the last week of Advent, we are trying to focus on the true meaning of Christmas- the birth of Christ.  Sometimes, we have to step away from the Christmas craziness to find Him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Lisa Boyle said...

I find it quite a struggle, as well, Pattie. You are definitely not alone. I find myself getting further and further away from the "mainstream" everyday. Well, maybe we are the mainstream and the rest of the world is far away from us, lol! :-) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, my friend! Much love to you and your family.