Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dove Deterrent

A friend of mine told me that I needed to post these pictures to my blog.  With so many things stressing each of us out in life, it was nice to get a good belly laugh one night as they were leaving our house.  This is a friend whose husband passed away on Christmas Eve last year..... and who has a fourteen year old daughter who will grow up without her dad.  None of us lives in the elusive land called "perfect".  We all need to laugh about the crazy things in life or else the bad things will REALLY get to us.

A bit of background on this dove deterrent of mine.  Every year, the doves like to nest in my hanging baskets.  They kill my flowers.  Once they lay eggs, I can't exactly kick them out.  After 5 years of this, I set out to keep them away BEFORE they laid their eggs.  After many atempts, this is what finally worked-- a big green plastic pipe and a cone I made from cardstock.  After a few weeks, I removed the green pipe, and the dove came back to try and build a nest!  I put it back ....and she has not returned.

We have a yard full of trees and even have bird houses and feeders all around.... no need to use my hanging baskets!  What would St. Francis do? 



No comments: