Sunday, May 25, 2008

Solemnity of Corpus Christi

Today is the Feast of Corpus Christi. The feast of the Body and Blood of Christ. At the request of Pope Urban IV, St. Thomas Aquinas composed the office (prayers)for the feast. The picture above is from EWTN.

As Catholics, we believe that we receive Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. We receive His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity.

Matthew has been really excited the past several weeks as he has been reflecting upon the miracle that takes place at every Mass. He said the other day in speaking about a priest friend, "WOW! It is so cool that Father _____ gets to perform a miracle at every Mass!"

Today is grandma and grandpa's 40th wedding anniversary. When talking about the special feast day today, Joseph said, "WOW! What a cool day to get married! That is so neat that they got to have their wedding on the Feast of the Body and Blood of Jesus!" He was so cute. We explained that they had not gotten married on this feast day, but that this year their anniversary fell on this special day. The priest at church this morning offers Mass at two churches and was a bit late in getting to church. After Mass, Joseph asked why and we explained that he had two churches to take care of. Joseph replied, "We really do need more priests!" Bless his heart.

Here is the Gospel Reading from today's Mass:

John 6: 51 - 58
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."
52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"
53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;
54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
58 This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."






We were in Linville, NC over the weekend and attended Mass at St. Bernadette's. The view is wonderful. Even with the constructon, you can still see the gorgeous view from the windows behind the altar. Here is a picture of St. Bernadette's. Grandfather mountain is in the background and can be seen from inside the church. Click on the image to see a full size picture.






No comments: